Thank you for supporting our 2nd annual Compost-A-Thon event
May 5-11, 2019
Compost-A-Thon is Manasota's largest, one-week, food-scrap-to-soil effort in honor of community building, soil creating, and fundraising to support the education and action initiatives of Sunshine Community Compost.
Hosted as part of the global International Compost Awareness Week (ICAW) efforts
COMPOST-A-THON 2019 OUTCOMES:
1 week - International Compost Awareness Week
2000 pounds of food scraps diverted from landfills
140+ households participating
15 distribution sites
Thank You Event Sponsors and Supporters:
SUNSHINE SUSTAINER SPONSORS:
1 Stop's Compost-A-Thon Story:
COMMUNITY CULTIVATOR SPONSORS:
SOIL STEWARD SPONSORS:
Tom & Sandi Troxler
PARTNERS & SUPPORTERS:
Thank you to our biggest, most generous supporter: Mother Earth
HOW DOES IT WORK ?
It's SIMPLE to partcipate!
1. Register for the event by May 1st. (Suggested minimum donation - $10)
Interested in Team Leading? - Please contact us for more info before registering!
2. Watch the 5.5 minute instructional video below about how it works.
3. When you register, you will need to select a date/time/location to pick-up your sealed food scrap collection bucket or use your own (5 gal max).
4. Collect appropriate food scraps for one week during International Compost Awareness Week -May 5-11th.
**appropriate materials to collect will be listed on the top of the bucket and also found here**
5. On May 11th, you deposit the food scraps you collected during May 5th-11th, at an assigned community compost site (based on region and first-come-first-serve availability)
Trained compost host-site volunteers with assist you. Food scrap deposits are accepted at the host sites from 9:30-10:30 a.m.
6. After the "weigh-in" on May 11th, participants are invited to attend our Compost-A-Thon community party.
Please deposit your food scraps at the assigned community compost site. Food scraps will not accepted at the community party.
March 1-May 1: Register
May 5-11: Collect food scraps in sealed bucket at home or office
May 11 - 9:30-10:30: Deposit food scraps at community compost host sites
May 11 - 10:30- 1p.m.: Compost-A-Thon community party and celebration featuring family-friendly activities, recycled crafts and maker booths, recycled/repurposed art show, speakers, interactive public art, and other community compost enthusiasts!