Time & Location
About the Event
During this event, you and/or your organization will get a chance to learn about the many virtues of composting and be able to try out the experience of composting by collecting compostable food scrap materials in a sealed bucket for just one week - May 5- 11, 2019 . This event is hosted at the same time as International Compost Awareness Week, which is a global effort to bring awareness to the benefits of composting.
Participants can register individually, as a household or as a small group. Small groups will be considered teams and the person who coordinates the largest number of participants as part of the same team will be given a prize at the after-party. All participants, whether individual or group, will be assigned to a convenient community compost deposit site after you register, where they will deposit their scraps at the end of the week of May 5-11th. On Saturday, May 11th, participants will arrive at this assigned community compost site and will be greeted by a trained volunteer to help them weigh and deposit ther food scaps at the compost site.
After the “weigh-in” on Saturday, May 11th, everyone is invited to attend a Compost-A-thon after-party featuring family-friendly activities and food - hosted from 10:30-1:00p.m. Confirmed location of after-party will be posted in the upcoming weeks.
Join your community, have fun, and help support the current and future initiatives of Sunshine Community Compost while raising awareness about reducing food waste, landfill waste diversion, local "craft soil" building, and the benefits of composting.
- March 1- May 1st - Sign-up for event as an individual, a household or recruit your neighbors, friends, co-workers etc. Watch 2 short videos so you understand how to participate and pick-up your scrap collection bucket at one of the pick-up sites
- May 5 - Begin collecting food scraps at your home or office, and collect them for the rest of the week through May 11th.
- May 11th - 9:30-10:30 a.m. - Deposit food scraps at an assigned community compost site
- May 11th -10:30-1:00 p.m. -Enjoy a community party to celebrate our success, learn how much material we diverted from the landfill, enjoy kids activities, speakers, recycled art and a few short films about community, composting and food waste reduction. Community party location at R.L. Taylor Community Center in Sarasota.
- Suggested Donation - $10$10+$0.25 Service fee$10+$0.25 Service fee0$0
- Enthusiast Donation - $25$25+$0.63 Service fee$25+$0.63 Service fee0$0
- Champion Donation - $50$50+$1.25 Service fee$50+$1.25 Service fee0$0
- Unable to donate at this time$0$00$0